Tuesday 14 July 2015

Mid-Century Modern Wall Unit Restoration

Let me just start by saying how lucky I am. My Ma not only taught me how to crochet, but she also passed on to me some genuine mid-century furniture in wonderful condition. As a lover of all things retro (my house was built in 1972) I know how rare it is to come across beautiful examples of retro furniture!

I'll start with an 'after' shot of the wall unit, all styled in my lounge room:


Isn't she a beauty?! This wall unit is an Australian piece by Chiswell. My Grandparents purchased the 4 piece unit in the 1960's (the other two pieces are in my study awaiting attention).

This is the 'before' shot of the wall unit in my Ma's house:

As you can see, it is in amazingly good condition after over 50 years, and really just needed a bit of TLC.

As it is a veneer in parts, I didn't want to go sanding it. It also had no bumps or scratches so I didn't need to bother. I gave it a clean with Feast Watson Floor Clean and then oiled it with Feast Watson Scandinavian Oil that I bought from Bunnings. I used a scrubby to apply the oil, waited for 30 minutes, wiped off the excess with a clean rag, let it dry for a few hours and voila! It was pretty easy and it came up a treat. It just gives the old girl a bit of a shine and the wood grain really pops!



Once it was restored I had the bigger task of styling her up. 
I have some amazing retro glassware that I have got from my Mother-in-law and family friends, so what better thing to grace a retro wall unit!
I got the stacking teacups idea from Pinterest, and then just tried to balance the blue, white and clear glass so it looked even.
The dinner set is also from my Ma, it was a wedding present!


The open shelves were a bit trickier, and I may yet change them! I love that retro turquoise blue glass so much! It just screams 1970's. We got the plate from a ceramics factory in Turkey.
 

This is my favourite part: The wall unit has an inbuilt desk that folds down. I toyed with making it a liquor cabinet but in the end... a hole drilled in the back and we have a computer desk neatly hidden away. I love it.

 
So there is is, my beautiful mid-century modern Australian wall unit. I'm sure we will love and cherish it for another 50 years. (Won't that monitor be small and dinky in 50 years time?! I guess we'll have fancy computer watches or headsets by then..)

No comments:

Post a Comment